Just Me: (this is going to be a long list of observations for this topic)
- Schools can’t be places where violence happens (and by this I mean fights and other confrontations)
- A class size of 40 is insane. Just grading 40 x 5 classes of tests every week or every two weeks is insane.
- Teachers’ pay is a huge issue around the US. Teachers should be paid by performance: Competent, Good, Exceptional. That’s it. 3 levels and each higher level is 10% more pay than the last. (I’ll have to start a “related math” page likely to describe my choice here.)
- Tenure is an interesting concept. It causes some problems. If your method is “too strange” maybe it’s not the right method or perhaps you should, as an individual, stick to your guns and defend your method for a few years at a lower pay scale until it is better researched and understood by others.
- I’m sorry. STEM teachers should be paid more OR they need super perks: smaller class sizes, private non-profit assistance with their mortgage, etc. I feel fortunate enough to have gone to a high school with just insanely superb instructors for all of my high school math and science classes. (Shoutout)
- More later!
Some Partial Solutions:
- Sorry, I am for good, qualified police on middle and high school campuses for any campus with “frequent” altercations. Our school had a policeman on guard even though there was only one fistfight in the 4 years I was there. It isn’t a mark of shame. It’s a scaffolding to allow for learning.
- As a comparison: Caltech has a faculty:student ratio of 3:1.
- This recommendation allows the hiring and the evaluation committees to think backwards: What would we realistically offer this person compared to the baseline? Is candidate A worth 10% or 21% more than the baseline? (BTW so I’m fudging a bit but maybe not 10% but a consistent percentage from Competent to Good to Exceptional.)
- Yeah Tenure is totally unnecessary in my opinion UNLESS the administration changes or there’s workplace politics. But that’s a whole different reason than, “Maybe the teaching style is different and we have to have a more inclusive environment.” And if the politics suck at your school, trying to stand your ground with tenure sounds like a very lonely and unhappy battle.
- Yeah. There aren’t enough good STEM MS and HS teachers so I hear.